He/She, Ze/Zer, They/Them are causing anxiety in some, irritation in a few and downright resistance in others. He/She, Ze/Zer, They/Them are causing anxiety in some, irritation in a few and downright resistance in others. For some, there is only pride and relief at finally feeling seen. Whether your child identifies as straight or gay, non-binary or fluid, pansexual, pretty confused or dead clear, there is really only one common thread: we are trying to make sense of the ALL the teen voices currently wanting a place in the world.
In 21st Century Schools, gender inclusivity has become both a powerful challenge and a crossroad-moment for parents and educators alike. Enter our brand-new parent and educator workshops, exploring practical solutions to everyday gender-related issues for ALL parents and educators.
WORKSHOP 1 – PARENTS : HE, SHE, ZE, ZER, THEY/THEM – ARE PREFERRED PRONOUNS just another social media trend?
This workshop empowers parents to:
• Contextualise why schools are now faced with acknowledging the LGBTQ+ with big and small accommodations.
• Understand why straight learners feel compromised by their sense of ‘no longer mattering’.
• Make sense of the so-called fuss about “preferred gender pronouns”
• Define what some of the more prevalent terms actually mean (cisgender, non-binary, fluid, pan, transgender, gender-expansive, gender-expressive, gender-queer)
• Think about “The Gender Map” in relation to YOUR child
• Find ways for all learners to have a voice without prioritising one community of learners over another.
• Implement practical solutions to everyday gender-related issues relevant to your child
WORKSHOP 2 – EDUCATORS: CREATING GENDER INCLUSIVE SCHOOLS FOR THEY/THEM? (While Still Looking After Him And Her).
At KLIKD, we know that school leadership is faced with parents and teachers who want all children to be accepted while at the same time they are resisting some of the changes that are introduced to make those learners feel heard, seen and understood. New bathrooms, preferred pronouns, new flags, special areas for some to sit are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to real inclusivity.
Klikd’s educator workshop outlines how schools can move forward in this unchartered territory by empowering educators to:
• Contextualise ‘the why now’ factor in relation to LGBTQ learners.
• Explore whether the rise in the visibility of the LGBTQ learners is just another teen ‘fad’ that will burnout like all trends do.
• Understand the drive behind preferred pronouns and what to do about these choices the classroom.
• Understand the fact that straight learners and their parents feel compromised by their sense of ‘no longer mattering.’
• Gain insight into the legal versus moral mandate in relation to gender inclusive Schools
• And most importantly, gain PRACTICAL INPUT on how to address some of the gender inclusivity issues with teachers, parents and learners alike without compromising one community of learners over another.